“You are so lucky, I wish I could work from home” I remember hearing several of my friends telling me that once I announced to the world I am quitting a job I love to pursue my business full time and fall in love once again. Though the idea of not commuting for hours seemed attractive I had my reservations about working from home. I am sharing the good the bad and the lessons learnt from working from home.
1. No commute: rush hour traffic, spending my life of I 495 and the toll road bye bye
2. Saving money on gas: I can’t believe this but I actually don’t have to get the tank full every week-what a concept.
3. Dress Code-casual: No more wearing the power suit spending half an hour infront of the mirror and wearing painful heels. Ouch!
4. Networking here I come: I can actually go to networking events refreshed and since I have more flexibility I can go to the breakfasts, power lunches and evening networking events.
1. The wall and me: One of the things that have been the greatest challenge is my brain storming sessions, over the past few months my wall and I have had several brainstorming sessions, arguments and discussions. There is a plus side to this-I always win the argument.
2. Distractions: There will always be a neighbor’s kid that’s crying too loud or a trash truck begging you for attention when all you want is some peace and quiet
3. The kitchen calls: whether it’s the dishes in the sink or the junk food you’ve hidden, somehow they all have a voice and call out to you while you work
4. we are open 24/7: one of the worst things about working from home is that you forget to close shop. You tend to work during the day, during dinner, while entertaining guests and sometimes in your sleep.
The Lessons Learnt:
Lesson 1: Wake up on time
Lesson 2: Get out of the PJs and into work clothes
Lesson 3: Hide the cookies
Lesson 4: Stick to a routine
Lesson 5: Choose a room that you use for work only
Lesson 6: close the door when you work and let everyone else in the house know a closed door means a closed door
Lesson 7: Learn to close business
Lesson 8: Learn to take breaks, if you work non-stop you will get unproductive
Lesson 9: Do not take any personal calls while working on business, unless they’re important
Lesson 10: Have a good support system – friends, family, mentors, other business owners, a good lawyer, a good accountant and anyone and everyone who can offer value to you and your business. Keep them close!online casino
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!